[ale] Slackware Motherboards and a New HDD

Van L. Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Fri Dec 19 07:36:37 EST 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:22:42 -0500
ale-request at ale.org wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:34:55 -0500
> From: "Adrin" <haswes at mindspring.com>
> Subject: [ale] Slackware Motherboards and a New HDD
> To: <ale at ale.org>
>
> Hello,
>
> Well, I bought a 80Gig drive for my 60MHZ ASRocks K7VT2 Linux system.  It currently runs
> Red Hat. I was going to give Slackware a try now though. Here is my problem.  I can do the
> software install, boot form the CDROM, FORMAT the drive partition and all that.
>
> Now the problems comes after. When I reboot the system never loads the OS. The last thing
> on the boot list is "IDE: Boot OK."  I just wonder at this point if I am not doing some
> correctly on the Slackware side or if the mother board just doesn't support a large boot
> partition. In which case I got lucky when I partitioned the 40 Gig drive to smaller
> partitions.

you may have possibly chose an incompatible option on the bootloader part of the slackware install. I've never been able to get it to
work with anything other than letting it install the bootloader into the MBR.

Try checking that, and also double check to make sure that your /boot partition has the bootable flag set on it when you create your partitions.
if those don't work then I'm fresh out of ideas. Good luck on getting slackware to work, I think you will like it.

Van

Van Loggins        vloggins at turbocorp.com
Assistant System Administrator - ESC Dept
Linux User #316727
1-770-532-2239 Extension 9404
Turbo Logistics
http://www.turbocorp.com