[ale] more on make command problems

George Johnson gljay at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 19 01:50:42 EST 2003

The following is a copy of what I am trying to do with the errors I
get.  I cannot find the make command that the program is looking for.  I
am using SuSE 9.0 and have installed Gcc with all dependencies.

linux:/home/gljay # vmware-config.pl
Making sure VMware Workstation's services are stopped.

Stopping VMware services:
   Virtual machine monitor
done

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for
your
running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon
module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?
[yes]

Setup is unable to find the "make" program on your machine.  Please make
sure it
is installed.  Do you want to specify the location of this program by
hand?
[yes]

What is the location of the "make" program on your machine? /usr/bin

The answer "/usr/bin" is invalid.  It must be the complete name of a
binary
file.

What is the location of the "make" program on your machine?
/usr/bin/make

The answer "/usr/bin/make" is invalid.  It must be the complete name of
a binary
file.

What is the location of the "make" program on your machine? /usr/sbin

The answer "/usr/sbin" is invalid.  It must be the complete name of a
binary
file.

What is the location of the "make" program on your machine?
linux:/home/gljay # vmware-config.pl
Making sure VMware Workstation's services are stopped.

The answer "linux:/home/gljay # vmware-config.pl" is invalid.  It must
be the
complete name of a binary file.

What is the location of the "make" program on your machine?
The answer "Making sure VMware Workstation's services are stopped." is
invalid.
It must be the complete name of a binary file.

Any suggestions?  I have only 30 days to try this out before I decide to
buy it.

George