[ale] Can't load X due to no free space on root (/)

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 18 21:13:50 EST 2003

Computer was working like a champ a few days ago.  Tried to start back
up yesterday and saw one of the messages during boot up say something to
the effect of (sorry not in front of the machine now):

No room on / [0] expecting [20000]

I haven't done anything new to the setup or installed/upgraded anything
new.

Something I thought was weird (and I'm sure it's just my understanding),
but when I did an 'ls -al' on my /home directory, I remembered that I
still have a couple of  .iso images taking up some space (this is a 25GB
drive).  So just out of curiosity I deleted them freeing up a couple of
gigs.  But when I restarted the machine I got the same message about
root (/) being full then taking me to the CLI login after some failed
attempts to start X.

I have used 'df' to see that the / partition is 5.7G of which there is
no free space.  I have removed files from /tmp as well as a number of
files in /var/log.  Still getting the same 'df' output.

While I'm trying to find out what has taken all of the / space, I
thought of allocating some of my /home partition (currently using only
14%) to / so I can at least start x and log in to KDE.  I believe that
parted is the way to go after reading the man page, but just wondered of
someone knew the correct syntax for doing this (as in resize vs. move).

Thanks,

Trey