[ale] Any experience w/D-Link wired DSL routers?

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun Dec 14 12:18:00 EST 2003

ALErs -

My son needs a simple DSL-ethernet firewall/router. It must run PPPoE to
Mindspring/Earthlink, serve DHCP to a couple of boxes in the house, and
provide simple firewalling: ACCEPT outgoing and reply, DROP new incoming.
Zero to minimal software requirements for clients and setup.

Wired router prices seem to be in free-fall this season, with D-Link's
4-porter at ~$19.99 ($39.99 - $20.00 [someday] D-Link rebate). I think I
saw LinkSys at around $50.00 at Radio shack, but I may misremember.

Q1) What is the experience with D-Link, compared with LinkSys and SMC, for
example?

Q2) What other low-end units have given folks good service?

OT:Q3) On another front, any recommendations where to seek Apple expertise
(iMac, MacOS, software, problem-solving)?

TIA.
 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu