[ale] OT Running executable apps on IIS

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Dec 10 22:30:44 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 18:15, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
<using scissors of brevity on myself>
> Basically, there isn't a way (that I know of) to run an arbitrary Win
> app via Web initiation UNLESS the link you click on is a document type
> that the browser recognizes and the appropriate app is launches as a
> result.  For instance, click on a link to a .doc file and OpenOffice :)
> should launch.  The Win app so launched can either live on the client's
> own drive or on a file server.

I probably should also point out that this is a fantastic way to get a
virus to a large number of machines, so you have to be very careful
about protecting the app and/or any document files used to launch them.

As admin, you really shouldn't give yourself write access to those files
all of the time in case you're the one that gets infected.

- Jeff