[ale] Knoppix and USB Flash drive

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 10 13:08:26 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 06:42:10PM -0500, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> Good evening!
>
>   I've tried out Knoppix before (a few months ago) and
> want to try using it over the Christmas holiday on my
> wife's XP laptop without having to partition it and
> install anything to the hard drive.

It's specifically designed for that.

> I tried this before on
> an XP machine but I couldn't save anything anywhere.

Because the Linux kernel doesn't have a stable NTFS driver that has
full write capabilities. One possibilty follows from the fact that the
current driver can overwrite an existing file. So it's possible to create
to create a writable loopback filesystem.

But Knoppix doesn't have the new NTFS driver.

> I was thinking about using a 256 Meg USB flash drive.

Good idea.

> Has anybody done this with a recent version of Knoppix?

Yup.

> Does Knoppix recognize it during boot?

Yup. And after also.

BAJ