[ale] alternative to dial-up

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche dittmeb at mail.rockefeller.edu
Wed Dec 10 08:48:48 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Ronald Chmara wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2003, at 10:57 AM, Preston Boyington wrote:
> > i have recently moved to a rural area and am having trouble with my
> > internet
> > connection.  actually it is my telephone service as a whole, someone's
> > electric fence is "bleeding" into my line.  the consistant "hummmm pop,
> > hummmm pop, hummmm pop" is allowing me to connect at a blistering
> > 21600 on a
> > good night.  needless to say, i am looking at a different way to
> > connect for
> > my internet connection.  cable and dsl are (according to official
> > sources) 5
> > years away, at best.
> > the telephone company (CenturyTel) says they are uninterested in
> > running a
> > new line or tracing the problem, so i am stuck as they are the only
> > service
> > in the area.
> > has anyone used DirecWav or some other similar service?  i plan on
> > looking
> > at "dslreports" later today, but was curious if anyone had a
> > suggestion.
> >

> Well, it might be costly, but if you can get a digital cellular signal
> (PCS or whatnot), you could ride on top of that (useless if you're so
> rural that even cellular doesn't work). You could order a whole ton of
> pairs to your house (say, 24 or so...), and then cancel the service
> (for 24 pairs, they might be more willing to get a decent line out to
> you, or maybe at least they'd run *some* clean copper). You could also

if the interfearance is induced by electro-magnetic waves from the fence I
would think it would be all or nothing.

> figure out your physical cable run, and either fix it yourself, or
> eliminate the interference. I guess if you were feeling *really*

But DON'T tell the phone company that's what you're doing, since most of
what you'd be mucking with is technically their line.

> ambitious, you could turn into a rural ISP, and buy decent trunks...

Definately check out DSL reports -- there may be other options.

	bjorn