[ale] Current Red Hat users - moving on?

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Tue Dec 9 16:28:50 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 09:55:14AM -0500, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Bob Toxen wrote:

> > On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 03:16:47PM -0500, Yu, Jerry wrote:
> > > can u buy one copy of RHEL and install all over places within the company,
> > > sorta a site license?

> No. Your license is for the software + support. You can't get a license for
> just the software. When you buy one license, you agree that RH can audit you
> in the future and bill you for any machines which you've installed RHEL on
> but haven't subscribed to support.

> > Yes, in my professional non-attorney opinion.  It's Open Source RPMs
> > that it downloads.  I created a script to then install them on a list
> > of other systems via scp.  This was the solution of one of my clients.

> No. You just violated your client's license to use RHN unless the systems
> you copied to have support contracts. You can do that for RHL, but not for
> RHEL.
No, Red Hat violated the GPL as the GPL expressly forbids anyone from
putting restrictions on anyone else receiving GPL'ed code.  It also states
that combining GPL'ed code with non-GPL'ed code (such as Red Hat's
trademarked images, in my opinion) becomes GPL'ed.

I'll post my posting to another group regarding this with more details
next.

> later,
> chris

Bob Toxen