[ale] OT: web site percentages

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue Dec 9 12:44:52 EST 2003

It is not possible to get an accurate answer for your question (especially
with the word "any" in it).

Website marketing is similar to marketing via other media. Who are you
marketing to? What media are you using to get your message to them? The
answers to these basic questions (and more) will change the number of
successful sales.

I have found that the best thing to do is design the site with usability in
mind and then get feedback from people. That feedback includes watching
someone use the site and ask them to complete tasks. Then change the site as
suggestions or complaints come in. Eventually you will evolve your messages
to the point where they will do most (if not all) of the work for you AND you
will get 3% sales or more (of total viewership). Once you are at the point
were you make sales, you can get into the science of test marketing your
messages to try to get higher performance.

Though that answer is obvious, I hope it helps.

The bottom line:
If you find information saying that you can build any web site with any design
selling any product marketing through any medium and you will make a minimum
of 1% sales the information is invalid. If SCO built a site selling it's
license agreements and spammed this list everyday for a month - what
percentage of sales would be made?

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 10:35, Robert Coggins wrote:
> I am very sorry I forgot to put that this was OT.  It was late at night...
>
> Robert Coggins wrote:
> >Hey all!
> >
> >I am trying to find some numbers.  I would like to see the average
> >percentage of visitors to a site (any site) that will actually purchase
> >something.  You know... Trends etc...  Thanks for the direction!
> >
> >Rob

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com