[ale] Games and Grub

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Tue Dec 9 11:08:18 EST 2003

>     Robert> Hey all!  OK I have 2 machines.  One is strictly linux.  I
>     Robert> want to play some cool 3d shootem up games like unreal or
>     Robert> quake etc on it.  I do not want to add anything windows to
>     Robert> this machine. so no wine etc... Do you guys have a
>     Robert> suggestion for a website to look at?  I am looking for
>     Robert> somehting free.  I never play games but I wouldn't mind
>     Robert> getting a game to "escape" once a month or so.
>
> Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament 2003 both have Linux versions
> available (the former for download from ID, the later an installer
> comes on the 3rd CD).  Both are relatively cheap (you should be able
> to find either for ~19.95$).  If you want something other than an FPS,
> check out Neverwinter Nights which also has a native Linux version.
> The original's ~30$ and there's two expansions (one just came out this
> week) for about the same price (there may be a `gold version' with the
> game and the first expansion for 50-ish).
>

> Not free, but if you want to play (some) wintendo games check out
> Transgaming's WineX.  It's pretty reasonably priced, I think it's
> around 3 months for 15$.  It worked pretty well for supported games
> but there's sometimes a lag between the game release and WineX working
> with it, especially if M$ is rev'ing DirectX versions or what not.  If
> I had a working x86 box with enough horsepower I'd definately be
> subscribed to get 3.2 so I could play Homeworld 2.
>
> http://www.transgaming.com/
> http://www.transgaming.com/dogamesearch.php?order=working&showall=1

another choice is to look around for some of the Loki games.  You can pick
these up for less than $10 at most places.  They are older (not a bad
thing), but if you don't do much gaming then it won't matter.

there are other sites on the 'net for things like playing Half Life in
linux, but you have to have the game (not free).

I don't think you are going to easily get around avoiding WINE (WineX, etc)
as most games are geared for M$ systems.

I am still struggling with my MechWarrior and my wifes' RollerCoaster Tycoon
addictions and am hoping for easier ways of playing these in Linux.  (seeing
that MechWarrior is M$ I don't think it will go Linux native any time soon)

This also could stem a discussion on Linux gaming and why companies like
Loki fail.

Preston