[ale] Mozilla + CUPS (multiple printers)

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 4 13:34:14 EST 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 01:12 pm, walter Sams wrote:
> This strays from the subject a bit, but I currently use Gnome on RH9.
> Printer setup and use is not as easy as it was in past eons when we used
> that B gates thing.  What does one have to do to switch to KDE.  Other
> than printer setup being easier (to some) are there any other
> outstanding benefits?  It seems to me that more people prefer KDE than
> Gnome.

RedHat's own rpm's for KDE will give you something that is a crippled version
of KDE. So, if you're not into building from source, get the rpm's at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kde-redhat/

One other clear benefit is that arts is a superior sound daemon to esd. Also,
KDE is intent on being as configurable as possible. Gnome has moved away from
that philosophy in recent years. Kmail is not as feature rich as Evolution,
but that is changing. I think by KDE 3.2 (due in a couple of months) KMail
will be all the way there.