[ale] glibc recovery RH9

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Wed Dec 3 11:43:31 EST 2003

Glibc has been forced back to original RH9 version from the broken one, however, XFree86 and kernel updates were applied after the glibc update, so I get some errors on boot about X not starting.  I know what update packages were applied, so if I force the old packages to be reinstalled will I recover or is a simpler way to make the packages that were updated depend on the older glib?

The errors I get are for each exec that won't run is, for example:
vim: relocation error: /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0: symbol __resp, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

Is there some simpler way of dealing with this rather than forcing rpm to back down to older packages?  Or is this a newer updated kernel issue?  I have all the kernels available at boot.  Plus, I run hyperthreaded with a SMP kernel.  Thanks for your help since I am at an impass with my knowledge of how best to proceed.
Dow Hurst