[ale] [OT] Residential Data/Voice/Video Wiring

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Tue Dec 2 02:41:45 EST 2003

On Dec 2, 2003, at 1:33 AM, Christopher Gilbert wrote:
> The fat wide conduit is the way to go but don't mix your data line with
> power.  It is tempting to run cat5 along preexisting power cables but
> have heard of shielded video and cat5 being effected.

Cat-5 has specs. Bending specs. Insulation specs. Power distance specs.
Transformer distance specs.

Bend it too much, run it by the wrong source, it might as well be
Cat-3. Cat-5 is not just cable, it's about cable use. Beyond 568/A
568/B, there are tons of issues. I've doubled throughput in some sites
just by changing cable runs.

*shrug*

Watch all of your unshielded data sources, and conduits. Cat-5 cable
can become a Cat-3 run with one sharp corner.

-Bop