[ale] Publisher for Linux

Christopher Gilbert chris_gilbert at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 2 00:49:41 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 12:14, Jim Philips wrote:

> > > I would gently suggest that such folk get over it.
> >
> > My gentle suggestions that pigs should fly still go unheeded.  People who
> > haven't seen any more than Word in their working lives typically go
> > apoplectic at a mere verbal description of Lyx.  That those same people
> > will practically go insane trying to get all of their paragraphs and
> > headings to line up with each other and get the font and point size uniform
> > after pasting from various sources is but a testament to the futility that
> > is life.
>
> And people who use word processing programs just take it for granted that they
> don't do math. Back when I was dabbling in real estate, I needed a program
> that could give me nicely formatted equations. Try doing that in a word
> processor! It took me about five minutes to learn how to do it in Lyx, and
> everything looked great.

Oh and what really stews me is the Math department at <CENSORED> using
MS docs that omit some Math characters on all the student machines. That
is unless you buy some MS add-on.

I'll take pdflatex any day.  I just wish the stix project was done so
mozilla/MathML could work out better.   http://www.stixfonts.org/ and
http://www.ams.org/STIX/

chris-marlin