[ale] [OT] Residential Data/Voice/Video Wiring

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Dec 1 18:23:42 EST 2003

Mike Murphy wrote:
> In some places (not really sure about GA) there are code requirements
> about wire that goes outside the home (Ie, connects to the power or
> phone company, but also connects to your satelite dish or tv antenna --
> lightning and all).
>
> I was referring to finding someone to help one figure out how to split
> their DSS signal the right way, etc. I know about how loosly contractors
> are regulated in GA (in fact, you don't even need a license, there is no
> state general contractors license, though in most localities you need a
> license or certifacation to work as a plumber or electrician, and you
> might need other licenses or license like certifications to get a house
> to pass inspection).

In Cobb County you do not need a license to do electrical or plumbing.
It must be inspected and pass, but you can do it all yourself.

I looked into this extensively as I was about to finish out my basement.
  They don't have any requirements/code for video or data, you can do
all that stuff yourself and not have it inspected.  Electrical and
plumbing must be inspected.

The county wants to do that so they can up your property taxes.  You
want to do it so that if there's a problem with it (as in your house
catches fire), your insurance company's not going to point the finger at
you.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net