[ale] Using existing Windows partition in vmware

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Mon Dec 1 17:49:38 EST 2003

<snipped>

> 3. Run VMware and access the 'properly installed Windows 98' through
> VMware
>
> I can't see how this possibly qualifies as an additional
> installation.
> The Windows OS is only installed in the original spot. VMware is just
> used to gain access to it through the Linux OS.

ok, I misunderstood.  you're just using VMware as a "pipe" to the Windows
OS.  I was under the impression he wanted to have an additional install to
"play" with from Linux.  from what I gather, whatever he adds/removes/tests
would affect his actual Windows install.

uhmmm, isn't this the opposite of what VMware is traditionally used for?  I
always used it to try things without screwing up my main install.

originally I was thinking along the lines of "I have a couple of machines
and only one XP license that I want to share through my network".  the
remark about "use my existing install on another harddrive" is what threw
me.

jukeboxes are fun...

Preston