[ale] Using existing Windows partition in vmware

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Mon Dec 1 14:31:07 EST 2003

I don't think you can.  VMware creates/uses an image and not existing files
from an actual installation.  To install your XP in VMware would require you
to do a "physical" install within VMware (if you didn't already have an
image).  This is not looked upon highly by the boys at Redmond as it is a
(technically) "non-licensed multi-user install".  (I could be mistaken, read
the EULA to be sure).

If you do this then men in suits will kick down your door and subdue you
while taking any computer related equipment to their labs for "testing".
You will be held without a telephone call until you accept a plea bargain in
which you will swear not to use said software and equipment on top of paying
a fine that is far more than the cummulative cost of the material in
question.

Wait... we were talking about the RIAA weren't we?

Preston