[ale] Re: ssh, DISPLAY, X11Forwarding

Robert Gash gashalot at gashalot.com
Sun Aug 31 09:30:47 EDT 2003

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 07:13:12 -0400, David Corbin was overheard saying:
|  When I "ssh -X", it correctly sets the DISPLAY to "localhost:10.0", and then
|  relays the all the X stuff.  Works great.  However, I'm thinking in my
|  environment, something better might work.  I'm on a home LAN, so I don't
|  really need to spend CPU cycles to encrypt everything.  Is there an SSH
|  option that says "don't bother encrypting"?
|
|  As an extension of this, if I start on machine "b", and do "ssh -X a" and
|  there I do "ssh -X b", the path that the X protocol flows through seems
|  "unneccessarily complex".  Is there someone to set things up so this resolves
|  better and more efficiently automatically.

While there isn't an easy option for SSH to bypass the encryption and
"intelligently" detect that you are looping back to the original host,
you can use the raw X protocol without needing SSH at all.

Start your X session, then use the following command to allow remote X
connections from a specific host (from an X terminal):

xhost +<hostname here>

Alternatively you can allow ALL remote X connections from any system
by executing:

xhost +

Now, when you log in to your other system, set DISPLAY="xhost:0.0".
When you start your next application you will be communicating
directly with the local X server, without encryption.

-R

Robert Gash, gashalot at gashalot.com
(Web) http://gashalot.com/
(PGP) http://gashalot.com/pgpkeys.txt