[ale] OT: Java and Cookies

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 29 16:37:40 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 04:05:00PM -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 03:59:11PM -0400, Jason Day wrote:
> > And, if you ever need to support SSL, JSSE unfortunately includes all
> > the bugs in pre 1.3.1_04 versions of the JDK.  Yay.
>

> Actually I will.  I think the applet code that I'm downloading off
> the server has overridden thd certificate checking functions.  The
> SSL cert on the device is not signed and I'm communicating

Programming with JSSE is not very intuitive.  You'll need to either
import the server's certificate into your trust chain, or implement an
X509TrustManager class before you can connect to an SSL server.  Even if
you import the certificate though, you might still want to write a trust
manager.  For example, if the hostname on the certificate says
"www.foo.com" but you try to connect to foo's IP address, JSSE won't let
you connect.

> via SSL.  I my have to say screw it and decomplie their application
> so I can run the code in a JFrame.  I'm using appletviewer now and I
> do not want to integrate appletviewer in our applicaiton just to display
> an applet.

Did you try implementing an AppletStub?  Of course, decompiling classes
is always informative; I recomment jad.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9