[ale] OT: Republicans Outsource

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Aug 29 13:46:11 EDT 2003

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Andrew Newton wrote:

> James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > I like protectionism. Makes me feel like the yahoos in DC actually WANT
> > me to be able to pay taxes. Use the tariff cash for some thing
> > important, like finding a transportation method that doesn't involve oil
> > or idiots with steering wheels in their hands juggling cell phones.
>
> It makes me feel like I live in France.
>
> > Level the playing field. Make the miserable places that are getting our
> > jobs install the EPA stuff and health care and workers comp insurance.
>
> 100% agreed!  That's why Kyoto is wrong.

I'm not getting into health care or workers comp (although workers comp is
a way to keep the lawyers out of the loop), but my overall experience with
EPA  regs is frustratingly positive. Years have passed since I was in the
chemical industry, but the EPA (and a much lesser extent OSHA) made my job
easier, and I suspect the company more efficient. Prior to the Regs coming
out, precisely what was in our products was subject to turf wars and 20
years industry experience. I left before the transition was complete, but
not having to perform competative analysis on our own products for two
weeks in the lab to find out what was in there was a _big_ help. I've also
been involved with a waste dispute or three with the regulators, and just
_knowing_ what is in the products going down the sewer is a big help.

Having had the joy of growing up in the "Mistake on the Lake" (thats
Cleveland for those without regional pride), and being aware of a couple
cubic miles of water go from a viable fishery to a sewer within a decade
due to anthropomorphic inputs, with loss of jobs (and food), yes, I _do_
support environmental regulation. I _don't_ like the legalistic form we
have always, and I object to environmental excuses for NIMBY for socially
needed projects fairly often. However, environmental collapse can come
swiftly, and isn't reversable (see a prehistory of Easter Island, and
there are other examples).