[ale] Voice Recorders

Steve Tynor tynor at iintiip.com
Fri Aug 29 12:51:55 EDT 2003

matty91 at bellsouth.net wrote:

| Howdy,
|
| I am looking to buy a digital voice recorder, and wondered which models
| peopel are using? I plan to attach this to my PC, which runs Redhat
| Linux 9.0. I also plan to use it with my Apple Powerbook (when I
| decide topurchase one). Has anyone done any research? I would like
| something that just works out of the box with both Operating Systems.
| I would also like something with decent features, as I plan to start
| recording my college classes.

My wife purchased a RipFlashPlus 128M MP3 with the intent of recording
her jazz piano lessons.  We were never able to find a way to get a
decent record quality -- it was always very distorted.  She's back to
using an old Olympus mini-cassette recorder -- it doesn't have great
record quality either, but it's acceptable; way better than the RipFlash.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone successfully uses a digital VR
for this sort of purpose so we can try a different model.  Online
reviews don't seem to address this sort of recording - they're mostly
geared towards recording meetings or lectures, which have different
sonic qualities. It's hard/impossible to test at a showroom, and it's a
PITA to buy and return in hopes of eventually stumbling on one that
works well.

Steve