[ale] CRM

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Fri Aug 29 08:32:47 EDT 2003

Have you considered running the ACT server under VMWare?  It's not free
but it has some advantages.

At a previous company I was trying to do similar.  We had a home grown
app that no-one supported, no one would arrange to get ported since it
was going away soon but no one would let it go.  We migrated it into a
VMWare session running on a different server.

The Apps' data files were saved onto a samba mount from the server that
was running the VMWare session.  Each night we'd have the vmware session
shut itself down so we could back up closed files from the app on the
Linux partitions.  At the same time we used "un-doable" disks which did
not automatically update the VMWare disks until you told it to then when
the system started back up it was configured to not apply the changes
and would boot off a KNOWN good set of disks.

If we needed to apply patches etc we could just apply the changes to the
un-doable disks and it was updated.  In addition when the VMWare session
was down we were able to make a copy of the disks and burn them to a DVD
for an instant backup of an app with no-known source...

Robert

Thus spake Christopher Fowler (cfowler at outpostsentinel.com):