[ale] SuSE and external Zoom modem

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Thu Aug 28 16:23:13 EDT 2003

Ok, I am having a bit of trouble maneuvering in SuSE (yes, I know how sad that sounds).

I want to set it so that I can dial out as a user (I think that sounds simple enough).  I have a serial modem connected to the back of the laptop and although it doesn't find it with YAST2's modem config initially (shows "Other" not detected), it appears to set things up when I click "configure".  My user is in the "dialout" group.

If I use Kppp and configure it to use /dev/ttyS1 (doesn't find anything under /dev/modem) and run the Querry, it doesn't return any strings in the fields (ATI, ATI 1, etc.).  Any other port returns "modem is busy" or "modem not found".  If I try and connect then it hangs on "initializing".

Wvdial starts but hangs on "Sending: ATZ, Sending: ATQ0" ( another string issue?)

I don't see pppconfig so I can try pon and I have tried to run all said dialers as root to see if anything would flash.

Given this (sparce) information would one believe that SuSE is not passing the correct strings to the modem?  I am currently waiting on a PCMCIA modem, but thought this would have been fairly straightforward to setup?!

Maybe something with setserial?  It's been a while since I set my Debian system up, but I don't remember having to go through all of this.  Also the modem works flawlessly with Debian.

anyone see similar things before?

Preston