[ale] KDE/Gnome show of hands?

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Wed Aug 27 21:12:53 EDT 2003

I have a feeling this will become tantamount to a browser war [the topic in
general, not this thread].

At home I am currently using KDE 3.1 just because I want to give it a shot. So
far I am kinda digging it even though there are a couple of things that bug me
about it. I do not like the round about way in which I have to make custom
universal hot keys. I do like how well integrated it is and I firmly believe
that it is the Desktop Environment to set up for Windows refugees. It is much
more newbie friendly than Gnome is.

At work, on my workstation, I am using Gnome 2. About the only thing I like
about it is that it is more friendly to a "power user". Nautilus is complete
crap and will slow a nice system down if you use it to render the desktop.

I really prefer Enlightenment (only using it on my laptop right now). It is
minimalistic which is what I love. I am not using it at home right now because
after about 13 days of uptime I have to restart Enlightenment. I presume there
is a memory leak there some where.

One day I will write all this up in a thorough review including various
distributions and submit it OSNews for everyone to flame me.

<quote who="John Wells">
> I see various post recommending this or that environment, but I've not seen
anyone explaining why.

> So, if you have a second today, could you state:
>
> 1. Which do you use...KDE/Gnome/Other?
>
> 2. Why?
>
> I suspect most choices are just level of comfort ("It was the first one I
every used"), but I'm curious to see.

--
I used to be interested in Windows NT, but the more I see of it the more it
looks like traditional Windows with a stabler kernel. I don't find anything