[ale] KDE/Gnome show of hands?

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Wed Aug 27 13:23:30 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 08:57 am, John Wells wrote:
> I see various post recommending this or that environment, but I've not
> seen anyone explaining why.
>
> So, if you have a second today, could you state:
>
> 1. Which do you use...KDE/Gnome/Other?
>
> 2. Why?
>
> I suspect most choices are just level of comfort ("It was the first one I
> every used"), but I'm curious to see.

1. KDE

2. I always try Gnome every time I change distributions, and always go
back to KDE. More things just seem to *work* without excessive hassles.

3. No, KDE was not the first one I ever used.

4. There are others, of course, which seem to fall into 2 categories:
   The lightweight, minimal stuff, good if that's all you can run, but hey, I
paid good money for this computer, why should it look like something out of
the '80s?
   The flashy stuff with controls that seem to have been taken from some alien
spacecraft. No matter how incomprehensible the design, these still only open
and close windows just like all the others. Why bother?

Irv