[ale] KDE/Gnome show of hands?

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Wed Aug 27 09:33:57 EDT 2003

I use KDE (or AfterStep, depending on the hardware).  I used AfterStep on my
first Linux install (it was RH v4.2 on a 486 with 32MB RAM), and stayed with it
until about a year ago (on any desktop installs that I had) when I finally got
some hardware that would run something heavier, and a desire to use Linux on the
desktop (again).  During that time, most of my use of Linux was on servers (web,
DNS, DHCP, firewall, mail, file, etc.) that had no real need for a GUI.  I could
simply SSH into my servers [from my Windows Laptop], and do what I needed to do.
 After using Linux in this capacity for quite a while, I decided to once again
try it on the desktop, and KDE was the default environment.  No magic, just luck
of the draw.  Once I'm more comfortable with it I may branch out a bit, and try
new things, and may very well change my mind.  For now though, I'm still
fighting with my USB mouse, scanner, webcam, etc.  Once I can get them to all
get along under KDE, I'll probably try something else so that they'll [most
likely] break, and I can learn some more.

Quoting John Wells <jb at sourceillustrated.com>:

> I see various post recommending this or that environment, but I've not
> seen anyone explaining why.
>
> So, if you have a second today, could you state:
>
> 1. Which do you use...KDE/Gnome/Other?
>
> 2. Why?
>
> I suspect most choices are just level of comfort ("It was the first one I
> every used"), but I'm curious to see.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

Nathan J. Underwood