[ale] KDE/Gnome show of hands?

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Wed Aug 27 09:28:46 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 08:57, John Wells wrote:
> 1. Which do you use...KDE/Gnome/Other?
>
> 2. Why?

I switch environments frequently to stay up to speed on what they all have
to offer. I'll give you my thoughts on my 4 favorites. These are all on
Slackware 8.1 and 9.0 so YMMV.

KDE (Unmodded). Using it right now. Love the integration of apps. The polish
and refinement is second to none. It can be configured in several different
ways to suit windows/mac/cde users. It is slower to start up, but seems
more responsive once it's running. I am primarily interested in it because
it seems to provide the best desktop environment for business use and it
also runs very well on FreeBSD.

Gnome (Dropline). Dropline Gnome is the premier desktop environment for
Slackware. It is probably my favorite. You can check it out at
http://dropline.net/gnome if you're a slacker. It's really not fair to
compare this to other environments, since it's not a totally stock
distribution of Gnome, but it is very sweet.

Sawfish. Run by itself in X. Provides a clean environment when you just want
a bunch of xterms.

black/open/fluxbox. I think these environments can justify themselves. No
need for me to comment. Their popularity speaks volumes.

If I had to pick just one to run forever on my own system it would be
Slackware+Dropline Gnome. If I had to pick one for a business it would
definitely be KDE, regardless of the base OS.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security