[ale] cdrecord: "wrong page 7 for CD capabilities page" ???

Kevin Krumwiede kjkrum at comcast.net
Wed Aug 27 03:41:21 EDT 2003

I have not used my CD burner in a while, and I have since upgraded my kernel and (I think) cdrecord RPMs.  Now I am getting the following when I try to burn a CD:

root at aphrodite:/home/kevin/jen-cd
0:# cdrecord dev=0,0,0 speed=8 -eject -audio *.wav

Cdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 J?rg Schilling
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong page 7 for CD capabilities page (2A).
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   : CMDQUE
Vendor_info    : 'LKTG-ON"'
Identifikation : 'LVR/52266S " " "'
Revision       : '6S02'
Device seems to be: Generic CD-ROM.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong page 7 for CD capabilities page (2A).
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong page 7 for CD capabilities page (2A).
cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder found on this target.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong page 7 for CD capabilities page (2A).
Using generic SCSI-2 CD driver (scsi2_cd).
Driver flags   :
Supported modes:
cdrecord: Drive does not support TAO recording.
cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive.

The -scanbus option shows the drive like it always did, but throws in one of those "wrong page 7" lines as seen above.  The grub entry for the new kernel inherited the 'hdd=ide-scsi' option from the old one.  However, the drive is listed in fstab as /dev/scd0.  I don't think that would make a difference.  I don't know what else to look for.  I'm wondering if the drive didn't just die, because its firmware has been screwy since I lost a power supply and a couple other drives a few months ago.  It's a LITE-ON drive, but sometimes it's detected at boot time as a "LKTG-ON" with a bunch of garbage chars after the name.  It still worked fine though.

Thanks,
Krum