[ale] SuSE 8.2, Building a kernel

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 27 01:03:07 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 18:11, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Better check the kernel version on any books. The last one I saw was for
> 2.2.x. A LOT has changed since then.
>
> Best source of info on kernel option is in the docs directory in the
> source tree. It's pretty much required reading for lots of parts.
>
> On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 00:08, BruceG wrote:
> > On Tuesday 26 August 2003 18:01, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > > The bootsplash give that pretty screen without the ugly list of stuff
> > > being started up. It's eyecandy.
> > >
> > > All you may need to do is makemenuconfig again and compile in reiserfs
> > > instead of having it as a module. If it is a module, the kernel must
> > > load it to access the hard drive. Since the modules are _on_ the hard
> > > drive it is required to to use a fake hard drive, thus initrd (initial
> > > root device). My take is that unless things are really weird, anything
> > > I need to get the box to run and find the hard drive, I'm going to
> > > always be using anyway.
> >
> > Sounds good. I don't need the eyecandy on boot up, but wondered where it
> > went when I tried building and loading kernels. As far as hard drive
> > support - I BETTER have compiled in reiserfs this time.

Getting closer. Am able to boot the new kernel. I missed something in the FAT
support, I errored out on that. Also messed up the modules for sounds
(snd-ens1370). My USB mouse does not work - but my PS/2 mouse does. Also, I
segfault when trying to start up KWinTV.

Good things - the kernel boots, KDE works, Samba works. So looks like I'm
heading in the right direction.