[ale] how to make a windows sysadmin functional on Unix

Steve Tynor tynor at iintiip.com
Tue Aug 26 21:45:55 EDT 2003

All,

I've just started a new gig in a mixed Windows / Linux / Solaris
development shop.  Since the product is implemented in Java, many
developers work on Windows even though the serious testing and most
deploys happen on Solaris.  It's a relatively small company, and they've
just hired their first sysadmin (it was an every man for himself shop
prior to his hire).

Problem is, he's a Windoze kinda guy.  He can barely login to a unix
box. I'm trying to show him the ropes, but really don't have the time to
hold his hand for long. (I'm a developer, not a sysadmin, though I
sometimes play one on TV).

I'm looking for advice for some reading material, websites, etc. that
you would recommend that he can use to bootstrap himself.  "A Unix for
Dummies^H^H^H^H^HWindows Admin" sort of thing.  My problem is that I
came to Unix first, Windows second, so I can't really identify with the
sorts of problems he's having getting his brain around Unix. (just as he
he can't understand why I have such a hard time dealing with Windows :-))

Ideas?

Thanks!
Steve
tynor at iintiip.com