[ale] Misguided Linux enthusiast makes us all look bad

Brad LaJeunesse brad at magusaptus.com
Tue Aug 26 09:49:09 EDT 2003

> > They have different values, tunnel vision and yet they have the same
> > goals as most of the open source community.  Eric's whole tone all but
> > ensures such action will occur.  "The confrontation between SCO and the
> > open-source community has now escalated to open war.".  The open source
> > community is not the US army.  It's more akin to the Arab terror
> > networks in organization and control.
>
> There is a huge problem with your comparison, in that any 'terror
> network' is going to do 'bad' things, it's just they have different
> definitions of acceptable 'bad.'

Boy, that's a knee-jerk reaction if I ever saw one. The point wasn't that
the OSS community is a bunch of terrorists. As terrorist groups are
typically loosely connected, members come and go... oh, and ever notice the
"religious" fervor in which some people talk about our leaders such as Linus
(and Eric)? There is no central command structure, as there is in the US
Army, for example.

> OS developers are doing good things.  On occasion, you get some
> misguided soul who thinks that doing a 'bad' thing is the right thing,
> but the comparison is completely unfair to the whole movement.

Yes, OSS developers are doing good things, but that has nothing to do with
the basis for the argument. And I do agree that attacking SCO like this was
a BAD thing, and it does reflect poorly on the movement.

> I personally am quite disappointed that your message will now be found
> in the archives, as it will be fodder for more OS FUD....

If we become more concerned about our appearances to people LOOKING for FUD
than our ability to discuss serious issues amongst ourselves, then this list
serves no purpose. Just MHO.