[ale] OT: Interesting Link (State of IT)

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Aug 26 08:13:32 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:04:25AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Christopher Fowler wrote:
> >This guy shares some views.  I've believe that the next revolution in
> >Adminstration is to go from RTFM to RTFS.  His comments reflect that
>
> 'cuse the ignorance, RTFS???

S stands for source

> >Of course we both could be wackos.  But like I said before, I thought
> >I knew UNIX.  But when I wrote code in UNIX is when I really understood
> >UNIX. Before then I was clueless.
>
> I started out coding before I got into admin.  I think you really need
> both to have a balanced understanding of the OS.  90% of M$ folks are
> admins and know much less about the internals of the OS then your run of
> the mill UNIX admin.

I did some programming then to admin and back to programming.  The OS is
just a layer to make it easier for the IT guy.  When stuff breaks the men
are seperated from the boys.  Also women from the girls ;). Many times
when I'm trying to figure out why a applicaiton is failing while I'm wearing
an admin hat, I'll pull out strace.  Truss on other systems.  This can tell
me so much more about failures when /var/log/messages does not help.  I did
some SCO work 2 months ago that required the use of truss to get things working.Otherwise I'd be staring in the dark.