[ale] [OT] Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent or Not.

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 26 00:51:47 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 12:25 am, Chris Ricker scratched their ass, sniffed
their finger and quoth:

> It's a lot more complicated than that, and the probability calculation and
> resulting chance of you being you is *much* more difficult than that.
> You're completely ignoring independent assortment of chromosomes,
> homologous recombination, gene silencing, etc.

I assumed as much to be the case, I just wanted to make the point that there
were random factors in the makup of a human being at the most basic level.

> And that's assuming you buy into biological determinism (ie, that your
> genes are what make you "you"). There's lots of good evidence that isn't
> 100% the case.

I was speaking of physical characteristics.  I'm by no means a biological
determinist in terms of what a personality or person *is*...

> > and the odds of the hormones in your mother causing you to have that
> > extra chromasome)!
>
> Say what?!?! I have no idea what you're talking about, other than that it's
> not true ;-)

"Mongoloid, he was a mongoloid,
One chromasome too many..." ;-)

No.  That isn't really what I meant, I just couldn't resist an oppourtunity to
quote Devo.  :-p

I meant to have the x-y chromasome *pair* rather than the x-x pair.  Sorry.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a geneticist, though... heh.  :-)

                    "Here's my family tree.  As far as I can tell, my
         relatives were carnival folk who were touring this place called
Hiroshima in
             the summer of 1945.  Because they lost most of their hair, they
                      mostly married each other.  And here I am"

                                                        (,,oBo,,)
 Wylde Bill                                               ||||
http://lyst.org

http://mrpooter.sytes.net                 wyldechylde at geocities.com

       Disempowering government means empowering people.
        http://flag.blackened.net/daver/anarchism/nlm/nlm.html