[ale] AGP Video recommendation...

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Mon Aug 25 19:08:11 EDT 2003

I want to know where these official ATi open source drivers are. If you mean
the drivers at http://dri.sf.net/ then you need to rethink your definition of
drivers provided by a company.

NVidia has not tampered with benchmarks any more than ATi has. They improved
their drivers to render a specific graphics component better than in the
previous version of their drivers. I for one like drivers that work better
with the card they are written for.

I use an ATi machine at work. In order to get 3D support I have to use a
specific kernel (which I have no idea what is different between 2.4.20 and
2.4.21 which breaks this) and the XFree 4.3 accelerated drivers _MIXED_ with
the dri.sf.net drivers to get 3D "support." Neverwinter Nights is a
psychedelic experience on this machine; textures change color at random. Heck,
even the GLSnake screensaver does not work properly.

If you are refering to the drivers at
http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html then they are
definitely not open source, do not work worth a darn, and are only avail in
RPM format [not everyone uses an RPM based system - something NVidia
realizes].

The NVidia drivers require very limited knowledge of editing your XF86Config
file but the README details what you need to change in a very easy manner.

In short bring some proof to the table that the ATi cards are easy to use in
an accelerated mode. I have yet to see any.

<quote who="ChangingLINKS.com">
> VERY incorrect.
>
> ATI has open source drivers that are more stable and faster than Nvidia.
> Nvidia tampered with benchmarks results.
> Nvidia has closed source drivers that have have historically been difficult to
> install. I have used both cards and was able to get the same quality with
> better speed using ATI cards. For cost, open source drivers, less tampering
> with results, great quality, speed and stability, go with ATI.
>
> Further, (at least with Suse 8.2) installation can be done using ONLY the
> mouse. (assuming you log in root).
>
> Disclaimer: I do not work for or invest in ATI. I have had Nvidia cards for
> years, and finally did research and testing. I ended up buying 'knockoff
> brand' ATI cards for all of my computers.
>
> Suggestion: Buy both cards, see for yourself, return the Nvidia. :)
>
> --
> Wishing you Happiness, Joy and Laughter,
> Drew Brown
> http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
>

> On Monday 25 August 2003 15:41, James Sumners wrote:
>> I firmly believe that the NVidia cards have the best accelerated support.
>> ATi cards do extremely well at 2D but when it comes to 3D the drivers are a
>> real pain to get working properly.
>>

>> > Does anyone have a recommendation for an AGP (not PCI) X video card?
>> > Red Hat (at least) doesn't list any in their HCL. (Am using 4.3.0)
>> >
>> > -Brian

> Wishing you Happiness, Joy and Laughter,
> Drew Brown
> http://www.ChangingLINKS.com

I used to be interested in Windows NT, but the more I see of it the more it
looks like traditional Windows with a stabler kernel. I don't find anything
technically interesting there. In my opinion MS is a lot better at making
money than it is at making good operating systems.  -- Linus Torvalds