[ale] Misguided Linux enthusiast makes us all look bad

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Mon Aug 25 17:40:16 EDT 2003

On Monday 25 August 2003 13:58, Geoffrey wrote:
> ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > I think it is made "worse" by the fact that this article blames a
> > high tech open-source supporter. The writer did not speak to the
> > attacker, does not know the attacker, but relies on someone who
> > "called." He has no way of verifying who the attacker *was* much less
> > the the "beliefs" of the attacker. He uses his canvas to paint the
> > picture anyway.
> >
> > What if someone from SCO made the call?

> You must know Eric.  He would not risk his integrity on such an issue.

Integrity???!!!!!!!
I memorized the definition of integrity as:
"Adherence to a code of values, utter sincerity, completeness, candor."

1. Eric admits he does not have "COMPLETE" information about the attacker's
whereabouts, eye color, or much else.
2. Candor is:  Freedom from PREjudice; impartiality.
3. Sincerity: . . . ."genuineness,". . . .
4. And, he obviously does not "adhere" to the code of values that would
suggest that the "anonymous*" call he received is not enough evidence to
support the conviction of the attacker in a court of law.

I don't see where the integrity is here.
What I see is a self-promoting writer who admittedly wrote a highly visible
story without all of the facts. It would not surprise me if the truth was
that the caller was from SCO, or a prankster.

This sounds right, "Oh, I just spent time masterminding a highly technical DoS
attack, and NOW I feel bad because Eric enlightened me with his article. . .
Let me have a friend call him up anonymously and say I will stop." Right.

It would not surprise me if the DoS attack came from Eric himself (think
journalist/Spiderman vigilante with a twist). Motive is there; the same
motive that would compel him to broadcast the article in the first place.

* if the call was not anonymous, Eric would should have the "integrity" to
report the caller to law enforcement. If the call was anonymous, the piece
was written without much (if any) validity.
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com