[ale] AGP Video recommendation...

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Mon Aug 25 17:13:05 EDT 2003

VERY incorrect.

ATI has open source drivers that are more stable and faster than Nvidia.
Nvidia tampered with benchmarks results.
Nvidia has closed source drivers that have have historically been difficult to
install. I have used both cards and was able to get the same quality with
better speed using ATI cards. For cost, open source drivers, less tampering
with results, great quality, speed and stability, go with ATI.

Further, (at least with Suse 8.2) installation can be done using ONLY the
mouse. (assuming you log in root).

Disclaimer: I do not work for or invest in ATI. I have had Nvidia cards for
years, and finally did research and testing. I ended up buying 'knockoff
brand' ATI cards for all of my computers.

Suggestion: Buy both cards, see for yourself, return the Nvidia. :)

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com

On Monday 25 August 2003 15:41, James Sumners wrote:
> I firmly believe that the NVidia cards have the best accelerated support.
> ATi cards do extremely well at 2D but when it comes to 3D the drivers are a
> real pain to get working properly.
>

> > Does anyone have a recommendation for an AGP (not PCI) X video card?
> > Red Hat (at least) doesn't list any in their HCL. (Am using 4.3.0)
> >
> > -Brian

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com