[ale] cluster server / backup server

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Mon Aug 25 17:01:37 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 00:24, Stephen Turner wrote:
> hey i know ive asked about clusters but i was more curious now about
> backup servers, like that heartbeat one. Any geeks using backup servers in
> this way? what packages do you use and why? just currious about
> experiences mostly :-p happy hacking.

Are you talking about a cluster for managing and servicing tape backup
requests?  i.e. A clustered backup server.

Or are you talking about using heartbeat to manage any given service
that you want to make Highly Available.

If the former, never tried it.

If the later, then yes heartbeat from the Linux-HA project has a great
reputation and I have been using it for 4 years.

I have always used it in a shared storage arrangement with a simple disk
array on the back-end.

EVMS 2.0 now integrates into heartbeat, so this should work really
well.  ( I have not tried it.)

If I was setting up a system from scratch today, I would use the above
plus the ServeRAID card from IBM.  The ServeRAID card understands HA
clustering and there are resource scripts with heartbeat to support it.

Alternatively, you can use internal dirves only and use DRDB to
replicate your data between the 2-nodes, but once again I have not tried
that either.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer