[ale] USB CD burner w/ linux

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Aug 25 13:42:26 EDT 2003

It should work once all the USB junk is loaded. I'm a bit fizzy on all
the parts, buts basically anything that looks like hard drive, cdrom
drive and generic scsi support will be needed.

Most external CD burners are just IDE inside a USB box. So you can most
likely take the case of and make it an internal burner.

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 13:30, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> My girl friend's computer committed electronic hari-kari (sp?) a while
> back, and started rewriting the cmos with random information. Regular
> repair service has provided last rites, although the vendor wants $1K to
> fix a machine I payed $1K 2 years ago. Obviously, replacement time (and an
> opportunity to bad mouth the vendor - Boo Gateway)
>
> I'm moving things to RH9 from Win98, 80 Gig HD, 1+ GHz celery. I was
> thinking of using her usb cdburner (from the previous machine) for backups
> and carrying around the family type slide shows, but it occures to me - I
> know nothing about using such under linux! Anybody on the list have
> good/bad experiences to relate? Is this a reasonable approach, or should I
> drop the extra bread to put in an internal burner, possibly moving it up
> into the DVD range? Opinions and combat results appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part