Obtuse code was Re: [ale] Ernie Ball says F.Y.

Christopher Ness mness215 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 25 06:32:38 EDT 2003

On Sunday 24 August 2003 12:42 pm, Jim Philips wrote:
> Christopher Ness wrote:
> > Which standard KDE - its one of the worst! Nothing from previous versions
> > will compile on current versions and warning will say "version 2.2 or
> > better" and not work on 2.2.1.
>
> I have to disagree on this. With KDE3, if you install compatible
> versions of QT, arts, kdebase and kdelibs, you should be able to compile
> and run any KDE3 program.

I have been with KDE since version one. but it frustrates me since every time
they upgrade - even a little  - everything is incompatible. Not just it must
be recompiled. A number of my favorite programs never made it past version
one. They were never rewritten to compile under any of the twos much less the
three.
A lot of it is attributable to QT. An upgrade of QT is a complete new beast.
It must be terribly hard to write for QT when there aren't even similarly
named system calls doing similar things. I think of an upgrade as improving
something that exists. The QT people apparently think it means starting from
scratch each time.

With Gnome, you never know when you're going
> to have to add a new package

Gnome seems to have more in common with the older window mangers than GUIs.
An the advocates seem to be hung up on how to make it bizarrely pretty than
silly things like interoperability.

. Anybody serious about KDE converted
> completely to KDE3 a long time ago.

I use and love KDE. That's why I bitch about it.

Chris Ness
mailto:cness at earthlink.net               All jobs are equally easy to
http://home.earthlink.net/~cness           the person not doing the work.
			   			    Holt's Law