[ale] Help in this forum

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Aug 24 19:25:20 EDT 2003

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> I think his point was that this list seems more political than Linux
> oriented. Sometimes it seems one must really "cry out" to get help
> and discuss Linux.

There's a very valid point in that this is a 'free service' offered by a
group of folks with like interests.  I will often times research a
problem someone posts to the list to figure it out.  That's my nature.
But, some folks are busier than others and don't have time provide
answers in that manner.

I don't mind helping out, I don't mind doing a bit of leg work to help
out, if I've got the time and inclination.  If I don't have a clue, I
won't post.  Doesn't mean I don't want to help, just means I've got
other things I've got to do.

> Rarely is there an objection to spouting off a political position.

Two issues here.  I have voiced my concern regarding the over abundance
of political rhetoric on this list.  It was pretty much a consensus that
it was acceptable, hence I've dropped it.

My primary concern regarding the politics discussed is that where one
might post something that could have some relevance to Linux, someone
else takes the thing into a total political rant.  This is not the place
for that and those kinds of posts plainly piss me off.

> He is not saying "kill all politics." He just questions why this list
> is getting more like /. or fark. We should question why our
> "intelligence level has dimished."

I don't believe the intelligence level has dimished.  Folks come and go
on this list.  There are a lot of folks who were on this list when I
first found it that are no longer here.  Some still lurk, other's, I
have no idea.  The experience of the help on this lists varies as well.
  And as I noted, some folks just might be busy at that point.

> For example, we should be intelligent enough to know (as Bob Toxen
> knew and pleaded) that the political arguments, positions, and
> RESULTS of the issues are not unique or new.

Agreed.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...