[ale] Gentoo on UltraSparc?

Ray Knight audilover at atlantabroadband.com
Sun Aug 24 05:04:18 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 18:15, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, F. Grant Robertson wrote:
>
> > Has anyone had any experience with Gentoo (or any other distro) on a Sun
> > UltraSparc? Any suggestions on other distributions? Any good advice on
> > the install process an how it differs from an x86 machine? I'm not
> > entirely new to Sun hardware but, I'm no expert by any stretch.
>
> Aurora Linux. Works great, uses RPM like God intended ;-)
>
> If you're not familiar with it, Aurora <http://www.auroralinux.org/> is an
> unofficial port of Red Hat to the Sparc / Ultrasparc done primarily by a
> group of RH developers. It tends to have the best support of any of the free
> Unixes for Ultrasparc....

Based on RedHat 7.3 to be precise.  There is a beta somewhere based on
RedHat 9, but it still has bugs.  There are many users running this on
production hardware, its stable and they try to keep up with the
errata/bug fixes.

> You'll want to do a network install, which will work like setting up a
> Solaris network boot server (tftpd + rarpd). You can install off of CD, but
> if you do you'll probably have to use a non-Sun CD -- the Sun CD drives
> don't like to boot off of home-burned CDs in most cases.

You can use the Sun CD drive, just make sure you burn the CD's at 4X or
less.  For some reason the Sun CD drives won't boot a CD burned above
4X.  Since my burner will only do a max of 4X I didn't have any
problems!

Ray