[ale] hack challenge for electronic [v]oting system

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Sat Aug 23 21:56:56 EDT 2003

On Saturday 23 August 2003 21:17, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> This sums up my objection to the current state of the art regarding
> electronic voting.  It has become a "black box" that has become much
> more opaque than any election mechanism that has come before.  How can
> we, as technologists, take seriously any election governance body that
> purports to certify election results compiled in this manner??  They
> know little if anything more than we do - or the voters do - about the
> machines.

If it makes you feel any better, I am totally against any electronic voting
mechanism that does not provide a permanent audit trail in the form of a
paper ballot that can be verified by anyone with an elementary education,
I.E. Joe Sixpack. I was one of the first 100  to endorse
(http://verify.stanford.edu/EVOTE/technologists.html) the Resolution on
Electronic Voting (http://www.verifiedvoting.org/resolution.asp) and I have
followed this issue very closely since these machines began to be deployed
throughout the country. I take the issue very seriously and I agree that
while there may not be a vast conspiracy to rig elections today, there will
certainly be one in the future. To assume otherwise is naive. Politicians
will be politicians. However, it is also naive to assume that these
machines are just going to magically go away. The cat's out of the bag, it
just needs to be de-clawed and house trained before it makes a mess of
things. Comprehensive system accreditation by third parties at the
distribution point, post-delivery, and prior to use is a means to achieve
that. The question that remains is, how do you decide who the third party
will be? There are many questions that remain regarding policy and process
that I am not capable of providing answers for. I am just trying to address
the technical issues which, while significant, are definitely not
insurmountable.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security