[ale] Acceptance of Linux on the desktop

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Aug 23 17:00:55 EDT 2003

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> I would possit that the single greatest bar to a
> more general acceptance of Linux on the desktop is
> the lack of manufacturer-supplied drivers.
> I can go to any computer super store and buy *any*
> computer add on (digital camera, flatbed scanner,
> film scanner, printer, digital card reader, etc.)
> and be sure that it will work with either the
> Macintosh or the M$ operating system. If the whatever
> doesn't work right out of the box when I plug it in,
> the supplied CD will have the needed drivers and I
> can expect to have full use of the whatever, including
> all its bells and whistles, within minutes of turning
> it on.

You obviously have very limited experience with Windows.  Further XP is
notorious for limited drivers.  I've had all kinds of problems with new
hardware on Windows, including modems, scanners, usb cameras, joystick
hardware.  The list goes on.  Further, the fact that the drivers are
provided and I still have problems is amazing to me.

Windows software is another area where these kind of problems exist.

> The same can not be said for those using Linux.
> Want to buy a new scanner or printer? First I must
> do some research to find out which ones are supported
> on the Linux platform.

You better do the same for windows.

Then I must download drivers
> and struggle to get everything working. And the chances
> are whatever driver I locate will not provide access
> to all the bells and whistles available through the
> manufacturer's own drivers -- which are currently
> available only for the two operating systems mentioned
> above.
>
> This sad situation will change when manufactuers realize
> that the installed base of Linux actually exceeds that
> of Macintosh.

It is changing, albiet slowly.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...