[ale] New User: Sendmail and DNS server questions

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 15:48:21 EDT 2003

Ernie, I know sendmail intimately (I have spent many a night getting fu**ed
by it).  Sendmail is not something for the faint-at-heart to just jump into.
Sendmail is a good MTA if you are going to be delivering email for others
(hundreds/thousands/millions?), but it is not really a good choice for home
use.  I would suggest that you look into exim or another MTA.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for you to learn and use sendmail.  BUT,
it's just not something you can learn/setup/secure/admin in an email or two.
There is a HUGE problem on the internet with poorly configured home
mailservers.  Please make sure that you don't contribute to that problem.

Having said that... look in /var/log/maillog for any errors, and post them
here or google for related info.

Best wishes,

-Jim P.