[ale] news: sobig.f -- anything yet??

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Fri Aug 22 16:15:01 EDT 2003

>From F-Secure:
------
Update on 19:00 UTC

When deadline for the attack was passed, one machine was still (somewhat)
up. However, immediatly after the deadline, this machine (located in the
USA) was totally swamped under network traffic.

We've tried connecting to it, just like the virus does. We do this from
three different sensors from three different machines in three different
countries. We haven't been able to connect to it once. If we can't
connect, neither can the viruses.

So the attack failed. Whoa.

We'll keep monitoring until 22:00 UTC. If we're not able to connect once,
we can safely say that the attack was prevented.
------

I so don't believe that something this sophisticated just...fizzled
quietly away. But...I certainly hope it did!  I'm a bit puzzled by only 20
machines that were supposed to act as servers...from the major
aggressiveness of this thing, you'd think that the best that could happen
with zillions of infected PCs trying to hit 20 machines at once would be
just a kind of lame ddos.

jenn