[ale] Digital Cameras + Gimp

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Aug 21 11:53:51 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 08:24 pm, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I've been using gimp to rotate pictures taken from a
> digital camera.  I've noticed that if I load a picture in
> gimp then save it with no modifications the resulting file
> is smaller than the original.  Is something being changed?

Ha.  That happened to me recently.  I had a weather station that was
sending images to my system, that forwarded them again to another system.
Merely by running ImageMagick over the jpg and explicitly telling it to
use no compression I was able to reduce file size by 30%.  Of course, it
got much smaller when I actually asked for compression.  :)

There are a couple of different jpeg formats.  Maybe one is bigger than the
other at the same compression level?  It seems like some of these embedded
tools create lousy, bloated jpegs.

Michael