[ale] new laptop time ... need suggestions

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Aug 21 10:00:41 EDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> Absolute musts:
>  run Debian + Ximian in 1280x1024
>  built-in 54g / modem / ethernet
>  NO floppy (who needs these?)
>  less than a 16" screen (14" is preferred but must do 1280x1024)
>  durable.
>
> Love-to-haves:
>  writable dvd
>  swappable drive bay (cd/2nd batt/etc)
>  less than 8lbs (with second battery)
>  greater than 2.0Ghz and support 1Gb memory

Keep in mind that 54g won't be supported by Debian (or any Linux).

I like the HP models right now. They have a great keyboard and touchpad
design (touchpad can be turned on and off with a switch, and has a built-in
scroll bar -- both Just Work with Linux), are reasonably priced, and can be
gotten with Athlons or P4s.

Go to <http://www.hpshopping.com/> and start customizing ;-)