[ale] reboot problem

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 20 19:14:11 EDT 2003

Armsby John-G16665 wrote:
> I have a GHOST image restored on an identical PC to the original.  Operating system is Redhat 8.0.  Upon boot it STOPS at a GRUB prompt.  When I insert the rescue floppy, it boots normally.  How do I fix the boot loader to boot normally?
>
> The man page on grub is not helpful to me.  Neither is the info grub manual.
>
> I know this is simple.  It evades me however...

What does /boot/grub/grub.conf look like on machine A and machine B?
Does it refer to the correct device for both? Here is my file:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda1
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.21)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21 ro root=/dev/hda1

Check that file and be sure that all references and paths are correct.