[ale] Ernie Ball says F.Y. to Microsoft

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Aug 20 18:35:32 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 04:05:08PM +0000, runman at speedfactory.net wrote:
> I don't know the answer, but I think the question has several layers of issues that perhaps Mr. Ball is not aware of - though I also think that the answers are  out there.  Perhaps if folks were willing to pony up the dough for developers to  "tweak" certain apps to fit their business, then perhaps they could get what they want.  However, unless paid, I tend to write/contribute to only projects that interest me and not particularly a business owner.

I have a developer that works for me that sometimes writes OS code and contributes
back on our nicel.  It may be greedy but him and I have got in arguments over
why I should pay him per hour to develop software that others can use for free
and save money over us.  We've extended a few OS projects to make
them work much better IMO but I've had to pay him to do that while freeloaders
reap rewards.  However we did reap some rewards from starting with the code
base to begin with.  Its just to make certain OS project useable we had to
"fix" them.

Chris