[ale] Ernie Ball says F.Y. to Microsoft

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Wed Aug 20 15:47:35 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 03:33 pm, hbbs at comcast.net wrote:
> http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html?tag=fd_lede2_hed

Interesting. Also note how he accurately points to the greatest factor that is
preventing Linux from gaining wider acceptance:

"But the developers need to start writing the real-world applications people
need to run a business...engineering, art and design tools, that kind of
stuff...They're all trying to build servers that already exist and do a whole
bunch of stuff that's already out there...I think there's a lot of room to
not just create an alternative to Microsoft but really take the next step and
do something new. "

Then take a look thru freshmeat and tell me he's wrong.

In the past two great expansions of computing: the intro of the IBM PC
and DOS, and then again with the intro of Windows, individuals and
groups of programmers have stepped in to supply the need for
"real world" applications. The best of these have been run out of
business, often by Microsoft introducing a buggy but  "free" app that
more or less does the same thing.

With this latest expansion (adoption of Linux into the business world),
where it seems unlikely that Microsoft will be able to control the market,
programmers should be more anxious than ever to produce useful
software - yet it isn't happening very fast.

Irv